Saturday 7 March 2009

The Acorah life story - the latest, and sicker, version!

Yes, Acorah's done it again. He's revised his life story, and added a truly sickening piece of blatant self-promotion in an attempt to get bums on seats.

“When I was a very tender age, just six, I had my first spiritual encounter. I was in my gran’s very old Victorian house on the stairwell when my gran shouted me to come for my tea. As I got the final landing I heard a huge bang and turned around to see a big man standing in the doorway. He ruffled my hair and started to speak to me and said ‘tell your nanna that Richard says hello’.
Derek says that when he told his nanna about the strange encounter she got an old metal box of photos out of the cupboard and asked the youngster if he could spot the man he’d seen in any of the photos. He pointed him out.
But it wasn’t until three years later when Derek was nine that his family told him it was his grandfather Richard who he’d seen - a man who’d died before Derek was even born.
So, what did Acorah have to say about this on the Paul O'Grady ITV show, on 29 October 2004 ?

"I was about 6 when it first started, it had been passed through my family. My grandmother was a medium, then I was upstairs playing with my toy soldiers when in the doorway I saw a man and this man was my grandfather, Richard Acorah, who passed on to the lovely world of spirit a few years before I was born. So I ran down the stairs as fast as I could and told my mother and grandmother about what I saw, and then they said to each other, Derek Acorah is the next medium in our family!"
Hmmm... no big bang, and he wasn't on the stairs in the earlier version.

The new story continues:

“I had a major rethink and decided to go into business as a medium,” he said. “When I was at Liverpool FC some of the players knew I had the gift and their wives used to contact me to ask if they would have a baby, and when.”
Derek put an advert in the Liverpool Echo advertising his private readings and the rest, as they say, is history."
Yes, as I've said all along, Acorah started his 'psychic' career as a fortune teller, just like the ones you see on Blackpool's Golden Mile.

Then the interview turns sour.

“I have only spoke once to Emlyn since his passing. He still has to learn how to do it. He was absolutely chuffed because he said he’d met up with Shanks again over there and that he’d been trying to organise a spirit game.
“When I was in Barrow last time I was sending thoughts out to Emlyn but he didn’t make an appearance and then about five weeks later he contacted me at home. I went to the door and he was there smiling at me with his infectious grin. I cried actually afterwards.
“I talked about some family members with him and he said he was with his father and brother. I expect him to be there behind the curtains when I come to Barrow next week.”
How strange that this story has never surfaced until now, and as part of the publicity for his Barrow show! Surely at the time it happened Acorah would have told somebody in an interview, on radio, TV, a magazine article? But no! Check here. Nothing - not until three days before his show in Emlyn Hughes' home town.

That leads me to a conclusion I've reached over and over again about this man - that he is not just a liar, a cheat and a fraud, but a sick liar, cheat and fraud!

Emma Gee

No comments: