Saturday 3 November 2007

An Irish perspective

COMMENT - received from Sean, Dublin.

I went to see Derek acorah's show in the Helix Theatre Dublin Ireland on Saturday last October 27. I went with a friend of mine as it was a birthday gift from me to him, as he has a kee interest in the paranormal. After leaving the show I was in two minds about the whole thing. I entered the Theatre a sceptic, but some things were said on the night that sort of amazed me.

But after reading the review of the Southport show on your site, I am now no further convinced of his 'powers' than I ever was. What went on at the southport show was a carbon copy of what went on in Dublin. The Young child, the DIY Scenario, The Solicitors letter all surfaced during the Dublin show. Coincidence? Somehow I think not.

Also on Saturday night I found it disheartening to say the least, that, when you take out the interval, that the show was so short. It started about 20.05, and with a fairly long interval, we were out of the auditorium by 21:40. My first question to my friend was - If there were so many spirits still waiting to talk to loved ones, why didn't he talk to them too? Between the both sides of the interval, he only did 6 'disertations' in total, some he spent an overly long time with, others were quite abrupt, when I clearly felt there should have been more time spent on them etc.

In a room of over a 1000* people, you are most definitely going to find
(A) someone who has lost a young relative
(B) someone with legal troules and
(C) plenty of people who need to do fairly urgent DIY in their houes.

My friend also remarked to me after the show that he once saw a Welsh Female medium do a show in a much smaller theatre near us, and she never once left the stage during the show, and her show also went on far longer than Mr. Acorah's.

All of this reminds me of a few weeks back when Derek was on a Saturday Night chat show on Irish TV. Derek was asked some rather pointed questions by the presenter, Ryan Tubridy, and the more that I think of that interview, the more I realised that he was merely trying to skirt around the questions asked of him than directly answering them.

I paid the equivilant of £21 to see him last Saturday, and I wont be back anytime soon after visiting your site. - Tho Sadly judging by the huge queue of people to get their book signed by him after the show had finished, the bank account will be getting fatter and fatter for Derek.


*Emma's comment

Acorah appeared on two nights at the Mahony Hall of the Helix, which seats 1260. Both nights were a sell-out, and at £21 per head that would gross almost £60,000, but around half of that would be eaten up by agent's fees, expenses, etc. He would usually only give six or seven readings per show, so if he gave thirteen readings over the two nights, each 'reading' would net him ... wait for it ... £2,300.

What a pity his conscience doesn't match his income.

No comments: